Cary List, CFP®, FP Canada™ Fellow, CPA, FCPA
2021 Recipient of the Donald J. Johnston Lifetime Achievement in Financial Planning
Former President & Chief Executive Officer
Cary List is the former President & CEO of FP Canada™, who led the organization from 2005 to 2021. During his tenure, Mr. List was instrumental in the development of FP Canada, which grew in stature to become the premier standards-setting body for professional planners in Canada. Mr. List also played an important role in advancing professional financial planning, for the benefit of all Canadians.
A strong advocate for higher standards in financial planning, both in Canada and overseas, two of Mr. List’s earliest achievements were the establishment of the first Financial Planning Practice Standards in Canada, and the development and publication of a Competency Profile for financial planners, which formed the basis of the global competency profile for all Certified Financial Planner® professionals.
A few of Mr. List’s other accomplishments during his tenure include:
- the establishment of Financial Planning Week in Canada.
- the establishment of a formal partnership with the Québec institute of financial planning (IQPF), including a common set of Standards, Definitions and Competencies for financial planners.
- leading the transition from Financial Planning Standards Council to FP Canada, and the creation of its two divisions—the FP Canada Institute™ and the FP Canada Standards Council™; and the overhaul of CFP® certification program to make it more compelling and relevant to consumers’ needs.
- the launch of Qualified Associate Financial Planner™ certification, to raise the standard of financial planning in the retail market and make financial planning more accessible for all Canadians
- the launch of the first comprehensive continuous professional development program, the Advanced Certificate in 3H Financial Planning™, to help existing CFP professionals develop essential skills in 3H Financial Planning—that is, Human, Holistic, and Honest financial planning.
- the launch of FP Retired status to continue to recognize former FP Canada certificants who have retired from the profession, and to encourage them to maintain connection with the profession
Mr. List is also recognized for his volunteer work to improve Canadians’ lives through stronger financial literacy. He served on the Ontario Securities Commission's Investor Advisory Panel in 2012 and 2013 and on the Government of Canada’s inaugural Steering Committee for Financial Literacy from 2014 through 2016, and was Chair of the International Council for the Financial Planning Standards Board (FPSB) in 2018 and 2019.
Mr. List has also won numerous leadership awards throughout his career. He was named an FP Canada™ Fellow in 2011, received the Leadership Award from the Institute for Credentialing Excellence in 2018, and received a Fellowship (FCPA) in 2019
from CPA Ontario for his contribution to the accounting profession and the community. In 2016, Mr. List was also awarded an Honorary Bachelor of Commerce from George Brown College (the degree he introduced to the college more than 10 years earlier),
for his contribution to the college and the community. Finally, Mr. List was named to Wealth Professional Magazine’s Hot List as one of the 50 most influential leaders in the financial services industry for three consecutive years, in 2018,
2019 and 2020.