As a professional financial planner, you will:
- Listen closely to your clients, help them identify their aspirations and goals
- Work with them to develop a financial plan that addresses and reflects their whole lives and circumstances
- Partner with your clients to implement the plan and continue to evolve the plan to fit your clients’ changing circumstances
Financial Planners provide professional advice in the following key areas:
- Financial Management – helping clients manage how much they earn and how much they spend or borrow.
- Insurance and Risk Management – helping clients plan for the unexpected, such as death, health issues, property damage and other risks.
- Investment Planning – working with clients to determine how much of their savings should be invested, and in what kinds of investment types and products.
- Retirement Planning – partnering with clients to map out their retirement and build a plan to make it a reality.
- Tax Planning – helping clients implement strategies for managing and even reducing the tax they pay now and in the future.
- Estate Planning and Legal Aspects – supporting clients as they consider how much they'll leave behind and for whom.
Is this the right career for you?
- ✓ Do you enjoy working with people?
- ✓ Are you focused and goal-oriented?
- ✓ Do you enjoy problem-solving?
- ✓ Are you a good listener?
- ✓ Can you ask difficult, sometimes uncomfortable questions?
- ✓ Is contributing to the community important to you?
Sign up to receive special offers and information about career fairs
Meet Fred Zhou
CFP® Professional, TD Wealth, British Columbia
Meet Glen Dilworth
QAFP™ Professional, RBC Financial Planning, Ontario
Meet Kelly Ho: The mentor
DLD Financial, BC
"It’s really about how to make someone’s life better, and to make them feel better about what’s going to happen in the future."
Meet Amish Gandhi
RBC Financial Planning, Ontario
"I try to treat this as my own business. Successful planners have an entrepreneurial focus."
Meet Jay Mallari
Sun Life Advisor Cambria Financial Solutions, Inc. BC
"The best part is when I hear a client tell me they’ve saved enough to buy a home. I know I’ve helped them achieve that dream, in a tough market."