A national professional body working in the public interest, FP Canada is dedicated to championing better financial wellness for all Canadians by certifying professional financial planners and leading the advancement of professional financial planning in Canada.
A Joint Message From Our CEO & Chair
- Smooth transition to operating as FP Canada with its two new divisions, the successful result of extensive branding and modified governance and operating structures
- Redesign of the Certified Financial Planner® certification program to meet the evolving needs and expectations of consumers
- Launch of the Qualified Associate Financial Planner™ certification on January 1, 2020. There are already more than 4,300 QAFP™ professionals in Canada
- First educational offerings from the new FP Canada Institute to help planners develop essential professional and human behavioural skills, part of the redesigned CFP® certification program
- Record numbers of candidates challenged QAFP or CFP certification exams in 2019-20; a total of 3,181 candidates, up more than 50% from the previous year
- Prompt response to the challenges of the global COVID-19 pandemic, with support for students, certificants and consumers, including new customized online resources
- Official agreement with the Institut québécois de planification financière (IQPF) as a proud partner of FP Canada, laying the groundwork to establish a unified, Canada-wide financial planning profession with a strong coordinated voice, a national strategy and unified standards.
Advocating for stringent proficiency and ethics requirements for everyone who calls themselves financial planners is an FP Canada priority. In 2019-2020, there was significant success on the policy front, with new titling legislation for financial planners passed in two provinces and FP Canada is in active discussions with other provinces:
- Ontario — Financial Professionals Title Protection Act
- Saskatchewan — Financial Planners and Financial Advisors Act
This legislation increases consumer protection and provides clarity for consumers about who to approach for ethical, knowledgeable financial advice.
Cary List, FCPA, FCA, CFP®
Hillary Dawson, ICD.D.
Tom Hamza, MBA
Damienne Lebrun-Reid, LL.B.
Joanna Tukums, CPA, CA
Joan Yudelson, MBA, CFP®, CTDP
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
|Brett Millard, CFP®|
|Martin Dupras, Pl. Fin.|
Dan Busi, CFP®
|François Durocher, CFP®|
|Carolyn Fallis, CFP®|
|Yves L. Giroux, Pl. Fin.|
|Ronald P. Harvey, CFP®|