FP Canada™ 2023 Financial Stress Index
FP Canada publishes the Financial Stress Index to gain valuable insights into factors causing Canadians financial stress and how Certified Financial Planner® professionals and Qualified Associate Financial Planner™
professionals are helping Canadians improve their financial well-being.
The 2023 Financial Stress Index reveals that for the sixth year, Canadians say money is their top source of stress, with elevated inflation, higher gas prices and cost of groceries causing significant stress.
The 2023 Financial Stress Index reveals that money-related stress is on the rise, with Canadians more likely to cite money as a leading source of stress in 2023 (40%) compared to 2022 (38%). The survey also found that:
- Anxiety, depression, and mental health challenges are the leading negative impacts on the lives of Canadians due financial stress (36%).
- Loss of sleep due to financial stress is increasing: 1-in-2 (48%) of Canadians have lost sleep due to financial worries in 2023, compared to 43 per cent in 2022.
The good news is, many Canadians are taking matters into their own hands and seeking the help they need to better manage financial stress. Canadians who seek assistance from a financial professional, specifically a financial planner, are less prone to money-related stress, the survey showed.
- Forty per cent of Canadians who do not work with a financial planner say that money causes them the most stress, whereas only 31 per cent of Canadians who do work with one felt similarly.
- Canadians who use a financial planner are also significantly less likely to have lost sleep over financial worries (38%), compared to nearly half (49%) of Canadians who do not.
- One-in-four Canadians who use a financial planner say they don’t have any financial regrets (28%), compared to only 17 per cent of Canadians who don’t have a financial planner.
2023 Financial Stress Index at a glance
With financial stress on the rise, the role of CFP professionals and QAFP professionals has never been more important. Check out the article above to learn more about what is causing Canadians to stress over money and how you can help them through it.
Consumer article – 5 Tips for Managing Financial Stress
Financial stress can feel overwhelming. This article on our consumer website outlines manageable steps Canadians can take towards achieving financial wellness, and the value of seeking advice from a CFP professional or QAFP professional.
Sample social media posts
Share these findings with your network and kick-start important conversations with current and prospective clients on social media. Download your 2023 Financial Stress Index social media posts for QAFP professionals and for CFP professionals.
FP Canada’s Spotify Stress-Free Summer Soundtrack
Turn up the tunes and mute the stress. Find our 3rd annual Stress-Free Summer Soundtrack, curated for you by CFP professionals and QAFP professionals from across Canada.