CFP® Professional Education Program
The CFP Professional Education Program teaches students how to apply learning achieved through their Core and Advanced Curriculum programs to the practice of financial planning.
While the technical content learned in Core and Advanced Curriculum courses is essential, it is critical for financial planners to focus on the holistic nature of people’s lives, develop behavioural and relationship skills to effectively connect with clients, and above all, to always act in the client’s best interest maintaining the highest standards of professional responsibility.
The CFP Professional Education Program uses real-world case scenarios to develop a deep understanding of, and competence in Holistic Financial Planning, Human Behaviour and Honesty and Ethics (3H) to help financial planners see their clients’ entire financial picture, no matter how complex.
Students are awarded the Advanced Certificate in 3H Financial Planning™ upon successful completion of the program, with easy-to-share digital credentials.
- Students must meet the eligibility requirements to start the CFP Professional Education Program
Registration and Start Dates
- Start dates are scheduled on the first business day of each month
- Students can register for programs that start within three months
- Registration closes 10 business days prior to the scheduled start date
- To register:
- Create an account on the FP Canada Portal and log in
- Complete the FP Canada Institute Education Application, available on the "My Applications" page
- Select program start date
- Upload proof of completion of prerequisites to the application or email them to FP Canada (completion of IPE is automatically registered)
- Documents must be submitted at least 10 business days prior to the scheduled start date
- To register after the deadline has passed, students can submit a request to email@example.com. Exceptions are not guaranteed and require the student to pay a fee
Time to Complete
- The CFP Professional Education Program is equivalent to a one-semester university course
- Program takes an estimated 75–95 hours to complete
- The program must be completed within 12 months of program start date
- Delivered online through the FP Canada Institute Learning Platform
- Students progress through the program at their own pace while adhering to all assignments and the final assessment due dates
- Student support available through discussion forums and live, virtual, weekly office hours with a CFP professional
- Student performance is evaluated through seven end-of-unit assignments and one final assessment, each of which is based on realistic client scenarios
- Each evaluation item has a set due date (see table below); a grade of zero is given for any assignment or final assessment that is not submitted on time
Assignment and Assessment Due Dates:
|Unit 1 Assignment||End of month 1|
|Unit 2 Assignment||End of month 2|
|Unit 3 Assignment||End of month 4|
|Unit 4 Assignment||End of month 6|
|Unit 5 Assignment||End of month 8|
|Unit 6 Assignment||End of month 9|
|Unit 7 Assignment||End of month 10|
|Final Assessment||End of month 12|
For example, a student who begins the program on March 1 must submit the end-of-unit assignment for Unit 1 by March 31.
- Students who would like to write the May 2023 CFP exam must submit the CFP Professional Education Program final assessment by March 26, 2023
- Students who do not successfully complete the CFP Professional Education Program and wish to reattempt it must re-enrol at the full program fee, subject to continuing to meet prerequisite education requirements
- Registered students may request a postponement for a fee
- Postponement requests are accepted up to 20 business days after the start of the program and before any assignment is submitted. Once 20 business days have passed or an assignment is submitted, postponements are not accepted
- Postponements can be made to an available start date within three months of the request date
- Only one postponement is permitted
- Students who choose to withdraw from the program may be eligible for a refund, depending on when they withdraw, as follows:
|Date of Withdrawal||Refund|
|More than 10 business days prior to program start date||100%|
|Between 10 business days prior to and 20 business days after program start date||75%|
|More than 20 business days after program start date||No Refund|
For all policies relating to the CFP Professional Education Program, refer to the FP Canada Institute Student Handbook.
For assistance with your continuing education registration or for questions about the course, contact our FP Canada Certificant and Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, 416-593-8587 or 1-800-305-9886. Our office is open from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET.